Sunday, February 6, 2011

Another 10 miler

This one didn't hurt as much as my 10 miler a few weeks ago, but it had it's moments.  I had been up for a few hours, but wanted to wait until dawn for safety's sake.  I checked the weather report and it said that it wouldn't start raining until around 1pm.  Wrong.  It started raining as soon as I finished my short warmup and stretching routine.  I went back inside my apartment to put my glasses down and the couch looked so appealing.  "Don't do it," said the little voice inside. "You'll be sorry later."

So I took off into the rain for my 4 laps around Lake Ivanhoe.  My first lap (2.5 miles) was within seconds of 9 minute pace.  The second lap felt even better.  I stopped at that point, which was 5 miles to take off my outer T-shirt and drink a little water.  I had placed a small water glass on my porch, so I could drink fast and be on my way.  My pit stop was less than a minute.  The third lap was done and I had run through enough puddles by now that my toes had water squishing between them.  My legs were starting to feel heavy, too.  Around the 8 mile mark, I had to stop for a few cars and when it was my turn to cross the street, a car going my way let me have the way.  I tried to bolt across the street, but my legs were rooted in the sidewalk.  From that point, I struggled with my form.  My overall pace didn't change.  I completed my 10 miler in 1:29:58, so 2 seconds faster than exact 9 minute pace.

The Benefits.

I went to Publix for some Super Bowl snacks and some regular grocery items a couple hours after my run.  My blood pressure was 113 over 70 with a 68 pulse.  That is close to my BP from when I was in high school.  It has been slightly higher lately (120/80) and about the same pulse after walking the store and I was very encouraged to see my BP where I would like it.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Congrats! I want to be able to run 10 miles!

Doug said...

One of the things I've done in the past to increase my mileage limits is not exactly run for distance, but try running for time. Instead of going from a 6 mile run to 8 mile run, try adding 5-10 minutes to what you normally run for 6 miles. Then add 5-10 more minutes on another long run.