Thursday, August 20, 2015

Another Lesson about Summer Running... Special Florida Edition

When you have every intention of running after a long day at work, it will rain.  It's not my rule.  It's a rule for Central Florida.  It will rain.

So how do you make up for it?

a) treadmill
b) run in place
c) alternate workout

You still have to go out in the rain to get to a treadmill, so option a is out.  Running in place is kept for a special occasion.  That is done when I'm hurt... like a pulled hamstring.  You don't push off, so it's easier on the legs.  That leaves option c.  For this, I did a weight workout.

I did an overall better full body workout even though it didn't have the same cardio effect.  That's OK.  Right now, I need to lose at least 20 pounds before I can do any effective running workouts anyway.  So using 10 pound dumbells:

side lateral raises
arm curls
shoulder shrugs
overhead press
overhead tricep extensions
stiff leg good mornings
bent over rows
bent over reverse flys
push-ups
squats
calf raises
sit ups
high knees

I did 4 sets of 10 reps for each exercise.  With a 1 minute break between sets to get some water, the total workout was 31 minutes.  I feel great.



No comments: