Monday, March 8, 2010

Mile Repeats

Mile Repeats: repeats of any kind is exactly what it sounds like.  Pick a distance and run it repeatedly.  It is usually done in miles by distance runners, but other distances are common such as quarter mile repeats and half mile repeats.  A key component of the repeat workout is the recovery.  Between the hard repeats of the workout are recovery runs.  For instance, you may want to run 3 x 1 mile repeats.  Your recovery runs between will be 440 yds or 880 yds at a slower pace to catch your breath.  A good goal is to run 20-30 seconds faster than your expected race pace.

My workout today was a 3 x 1 mile repeat with 880 yd recovery runs.  I started out with a 2 mile warmup run at 11 minute pace.  I then headed over to a nearby track.

My goal is to run 7:40 pace on my next race, so my goal for my mile repeats is 7:20.  This should be easy considering my goal, but I only ran 8:02 on my last race a couple weeks ago.

I did 7:19, 7:18, and then 7:01.  After finishing the repeats, I took an easy cooldown mile run.

No comments: