Thursday, April 7, 2011

Last Hard Workout Before the Corporate 5k

Today was the last hard workout before the IOA Corporate 5k on next Thursday evening.  I don't feel like I am quite ready, but if you wait forever to "jump in the ring," you never will be.

For today's workout, we had a 4 mile tempo run.  I started off with 1.75 miles as a warmup, which I took faster than normal, but I felt really strong.  My legs weren't as sore as they normally are.  Followed that up with light active stretching and our normal striders.

My hammies were a little tight to start the workout, but we were running tempo, so I didn't have anything to worry about.  Coach asked us to start around half marathon pace and work our way into a faster pace.  Get it down between 5k and 10k goal pace.  I did that.

I had to keep telling myself to push harder just to keep my speed as constant as possible.  I was able to do this through about 2.5 miles and I gave up.  I really wanted to make it through 3 miles, because that would be the distance of next week's race.  I wasn't concerned about the last mile, but when I broke mentally at 2.5, that just made it worse the rest of the way.  I only walked for about 10-15 seconds and then got back to the same pace for about a mile and then jogged for about 30 seconds before finishing up strong.

When I hit the 5k mark, I think I was around 24 minutes.  If I knew that I only had to run 3.1 miles, I think I could have kept running to that point without any walking or jogging.  That still would put my time over 23 minutes, though.  I'm not happy about that and it isn't going to be any cooler next week.  It was in the 80's this afternoon for sure.  At least there was a breeze.

Off topic here, but is anyone from Philadelphia or Washington DC?  I'm thinking about going up to either one or both cities for New Year's and was wondering what there is to do besides the museums.  Thanks.

6 comments:

Alisyn said...

What a great last hard workout! Good luck with the 5k. Looking forward to reading the recap.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Good luck at the 5k, you might not feel ready, but your doing more then 99% of the world is doing

2 Slow 4 Boston said...

I'm not familiar with either city. Sounds like you pushed yourself pretty good for your run. Keep it up, I know you'll improve at that rate.

Raina said...

The workout sounds tough!
Heat is not my friend...hope it cools down.

Anonymous said...

If you're headed to the East coast for New Years I'd say skip DC and Philly and head to NYC. (I've only been to NYC once - not for New Years)

A good way to push the pace at end of workout is to get a running friend to jump in with you mid workout. Worked like a charm for me.

mjcaron said...

You should not be so hard on yourself. Many runners don't even do tempo runs as they are hard! You did well.