Saturday, January 22, 2011

Season's 52 Park Avenue 5.2k - Race

The course was flat and didn't have a lot of turns, so that made it fast.  The brick made it slow though.  It's not fun having to keep a watchful eye on ruts as you're thinking about your pace.  I like finishing down Park Avenue running on the shop lined street, but your ankles keep wobbling on the bricks.

As for me, I knew I wasn't going to have a good race from the start.  I don't know what it was, but I felt out of breath after a quarter mile and I was running my pace.  I struggled the entire run until the end.  My right calf hurt the entire race.  That's been building up since Tuesday.

I hit the first mile at 7:05.  That would have been great if I stayed at that speed, but I only slowed down.  My second mile split was 14:35, so I ran a 7:30 on that one.  The 3 mile split was 22:22 (7:47) which is kind of cool, but that should have been my 5k time which happened to be 23:07.  My 5.2k official chip time was 23:52.  I was hoping to break 23 minutes.  My average pace was 7:23.  That was aided by me speeding up for the last quarter mile, which I ran at 6 minute pace.

I haven't run this race or distance before, so at least it is a PR.  I hope to have pictures later.


It's later!


That's me near the finish line.  No, not the kid!!  He beat me.  I'm the one with the gold glow.  There's more pictures at Track Shack's Facebook page.  http://www.facebook.com/album.php?fbid=10150090713668874&id=68449813873&aid=280604

2 comments:

The Green Girl said...

Congratulations on a strong race even if you didn't make your goal time.

Doug said...

Thanks Green Girl! Just gotta keep on running and the times will get better.