Sunday, October 5, 2008

Greater Maitland 5K

Sometimes, it's good to do what you normally would do on any other day. Like usual, I had a cup of coffee in the morning. It was either that or the cool temperature or the first race in my new running shoes, but I had a great race. It wasn't my best time ever, but I felt really good.

I took my time warming up. I did about a quarter mile out from the starting line and came back. When I took off, everyone was back at the registration area, but when I got back, everyone was lined up at the starting line. I knew I didn't have much time to stretch, but had to get it in. I put more emphasis on my calves since they have been hurting off and on since April. I also put an emphasis on rotating my arms around to get them going.

The next thing you know, I see everyone's start running. I didn't even have my shoestrings tied the way I wanted yet. It took me about 15 seconds to re-tie my shoes and off I went. There weren't too many people running and walking, so I was able to get to a place in the pack that I liked relatively quickly.

I ran the first mile in 7:57. It felt good. Not too fast. I started a little late, but my mile split was aided by a couple of downhills which I utilized to my advantage by coasting and letting my inertia carry me. You don't want to go too fast, but I don't understand why most people try to slow down when going downhill.

The second mile was in 15:30. I felt like I kept my pace the same, but I did add a few bursts to keep myself going without getting bored.

The last mile was definitely the hardest. The course was pretty much an out and back, so I obviously had to run up a couple of hills. My time was 25:30. The official time says 25:29.9, but whatever. If it was a PR, I'd take it. It didn't feel like around 9 minute pace on that last mile, but the clock doesn't lie.

I need to get some more quality training runs logged in the next couple of weeks. The next race is October 25th - Dick Batchelor Run for the Kids in downtown Orlando.

1 comment:

jeanne said...

glad you had a good race! and thanks for your comment...i hope it doesn't take too long! :)