Saturday, September 11, 2010

Running in the Rain

Thursday's group run was a 3 mile run followed by 6 x 200m sprints (or the speed you would run the last 200m of a race).  We started with a 1.25 mile warmup and then stretched.  The rain was coming toward us, so we didn't do the normal striders.  We were originally going to run 4-5 miles, but cut it short due to the weather and ran 3 miles instead.  We stayed in a tight pack, which means we ran an easy pace for most of the runners.  It was a tougher pace for myself, but conversational for the faster people.  Johnny, who runs in my group at my speed, had a Garmin 305.  When we hit the 1 and 2 mile splits, he told us the pace.  We ran 7:54, 8:04, and the last bit was just short of a mile, but his Garmin calculated our pace was 7:45.  It wasn't race pace, but it was only 30 seconds from it.

When we got back to the track, the rain was coming down hard.  We ran each 200m with 1 minute rests.  We did that 6 times.  I did really good on the first 5 and dogged the last one.  It was really hard running on the track, because each lane had standing water and I could hardly see through my glasses.  For the first time since spring though, it wasn't hot.

1 comment:

The Green Girl said...

Wow, all that after a 3 mile run with rain? I'm impressed.