Sunday, September 12, 2010

Long Run for the Week

I know most people run in the mornings to avoid the heat and traffic and maybe just so they get it done and out of the way for the day.  Me, nope.  I waited until midday when the temperature was 92 degrees F and the heat index said it was 99.  That's my time.

I know I don't make all of the brightest decisions.  Like this one for instance.

Last week, I ran just over 7 miles.  If I follow the rule of not increasing mileage by more than 10 percent each week, I should keep it under 8 miles.  I did exactly 8 miles.

I ran from my apartment to downtown's Lake Eola.  Got a quick water break and stretch done.  Then 2 inner loops and 2 outer loops, which is 4.5 miles.  I stopped between laps for water, because as I stated earlier... it was stupid hot today.  Then, I finished up the run with 1.5 miles home.  I had a hard time mentally running the portion home, except for the last half mile.  I just wanted to give up and stop under an Oak tree and call it quits.

Once I got to within a half mile, I sped up a little and just thought that it was 2 laps around the track and that brought me home.

2 comments:

The Green Girl said...

Wow, you are hardcore!

Congratulations on getting the mileage in despite the insane heat.

Johann said...

Running in heat like that is terrible so well done for toughing it out!