Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Week 2

So this is the second week of my training regimen and blisters are showing up like Mormons at my door. I didn't ask for them, but here they are nevertheless.

Weather (rain) has kept me from doing some running at the beginning of the week.












2/133 miles at 8:00 pace
4 x 220 with 220 recovery
.5 mile cool down
2/143 mile run
2/153 miles - all walking
beer, wings, quesadillas and CRAWFISH!!! Yay!!!
2/163 miles
2/172 miles (I ran hard, but didn't have any juice. Here's a lesson for the fellas... don't run after having sex. Like I said... I didn't have any juice.)
2/183 miles in around 22 minutes
1 mile cool down
1.5 mile walk later that night

On the last run, I used a breathing technique that I utilized back in my running prime (high school). A co-worker mentioned the technique to me during the day and I tried it out. I completely forgot about it and it made a world of difference.

Here's how it works.

Instead of just breathing, you use a cadence in your breathing that corresponds to your foot strike and toe off. It seems to take your attention off the pain in your knees and ankles (until you get numb anyway... gotta love endorphines).

I started off doing 2 in breaths to 3 out breaths. That seemed to work for my first mile, which I ran a little around 7:30 with no struggle whatsoever. The second mile, I picked up the pace a little as I got more comfortable and I adjusted my breathing to 2 in and 2 out breaths. Got the second clocked in around 7:00. The third mile, I tried to keep the pace, but even as I tried, I slowed down. I lost control of my breathing technique. I labored in my breathing and my pace fell off. Regardless, I haven't been comfortable running that pace in some time. In addition to keeping your mind occupied, this technique seems to keep your abdominal muscles taut, which in turn keeps you from jostling your torso around as your legs are churning the pavement.

Props to Josh for the tip!
jalopyjosh.blogspot.com

No comments: