Monday, August 17, 2015

Lesson about Running in the Summer

I usually sit on my bum throughout the workday.  This morning, we had a few problems that needed to be resolved and they couldn't all be done at my desk.  I had to get up and I walked around from place to place from about an hour and a half.  I knew I walked more than normal and since I was carrying my phone the whole time, I looked up my mileage on the pedometer app.  It turns out that I covered 1.15 miles.

This got me excited.  Probably too much.  I went home for lunch and decided that instead of jumping into a meal, I was going to hop into my running shorts and shoes.  I live on a lake with a decent tree canopy... on my side of the lake.  That tree canopy ran out after half a mile.

I planned on running 5k.  After a mile of 92 degrees, I checked the weather app and it says the feels like temp is 102.  Awesome!  I want to feel 102.  It wasn't very much farther and I changed my route from a single loop with a water fountain at one point to an out-and-back past that water fountain a second time.  It wasn't enough to quell the heat building in my core.

That last half mile with some shade under the trees turned into a new workout.  Run the sun, walk the shade.  Whatever it takes.  In total the workout was good and I finished with 2.75 miles.  A little short of my original goal, but 102 degrees will do that.

When I got home, I took a couple gulps of pickle juice.  I know.  How very hipster Williamsburg of me!  Gotta get the sodium replaced.

When I run in the afternoons, which is becoming prohibitive due to the afternoon storms, it usually takes about 30 minutes to cool down.  Today, it took about an hour.  So the lesson is to either run in the morning or evening when the temps are above 80 degrees during the day.  I think that's a safe rule.

I don't think I mentioned on here that I changed my running website from EolaRunners.com to OrlandoRunners.com.  It is the domain name I wanted years ago, but didn't become available until earlier this year.  I am going to list some of the upcoming races in our area at the bottom of my blog posts.  Here goes:

Upcoming Races in the Orlando Area

1 comment:

Farheen said...

Woah! How was the feeling at feel like 102 temperature?