Wednesday, January 2, 2019

2019 - Hoping for a Healthy Year

2018 didn't end well.  I was plagued by a pulled calf muscle in the left leg.  It started on November 19 running down a steep part of the Harlem Hills.  I was slowing down and it felt like a simple tweak, which I've had many times in the past.  Usually, I take a week off and rest it.  Then, it's back to normal training runs.  This time, I gave it a week (Nov 26) and went through the same thing after 1 mile.  Slight pull.  Again, I waited and rested.  This time, I gave it 10 days (Dec 6).  I went out and made it 2.5 miles before the pull.  I was definitely getting aggro about it.  I have now waited 4 full weeks since the last attempt.  I got out and ran restrained and smooth tonight.  I did 1 mile out and 1 mile back non-stop at an easy pace.  No pain and no pulls.  Finally, but we'll see how it goes.  I did some light stretching after the run.

I didn't do any resolutions so to speak.  I have goals for this year.  One of my goals is to workout 6 times per week with a focus on strength and flexibility.  The stretching and run counted today toward a workout and flexibility.  Here's to more of it for 2019!

No comments: