Wednesday, December 11, 2013

No Time Like the Present

Well there's no time like the present.  And it's not a play on words with Christmas either.  I decided a few weeks ago that I couldn't wait for New Year's to come around and I need to start running and getting in shape. It's time to lose some weight.  I definitely have a few pounds on me that need to come off and who said that we have to base our routines on New Year's, a calendar which is something the Romans dreamed up, to plan our workouts. Did they have Thanksgiving and Christmas packing on the pounds?

So there's that and then there's the coworker that sends you the workout routine and he says, "Hey, it's time to start ramping up for the Corporate 5K in April."  That happened yesterday.

I looked over the routine and it looks good. It's 6 to 7 days a week running and I can do it.  It's have to be determined and try everyday.

Yesterday, the workout was an easy distance day. I ran just over 3 miles around 9:30 average pace.

Today, the routine was 6-8 x 1000m at tempo with a 1:00 active rest
.  I haven't run hard in a long time, but it's either try or do.  Yoda says to do.

Started with a 1 and 1/2 mile warm-up, got some quick stretching and got to it.

My splits were:

4:55
5:02
4:51
5:05
5:03
5:11

This is going to hurt tomorrow, but it felt good when I get done.  Total mileage was 5.75 miles.  Day 2, that's a wrap.

1 comment:

Johann said...

I agree 100%. No time like the present. All the best!