Thursday, May 15, 2008

Running in the Heat

I have speedwork planned for today, but I am going to the Indie Film Jam tonight and won't have time to run after work. This means that I had to find another time to run. Lunch it is.

Weather.com says that it was 86 degrees. All I know is that it was blazing out there.

Smart Coach says to do mile warmup, 2 x 1600 @ 6:49 with 800 recovery and mile cooldown for a total of 5 miles.

I got the mile warmup and lots of water. Did the miles in 6:48 and 6:55, so I was close on both. On the first mile, I started off too fast. I hit the quarter at 1:30 and was supposed to be at 1:42, but evened out around 3:20 for the half and hit about as close as you can get for the mile. On the second mile, I was perfectly paced through all 3 laps, but struggled on the last lap. I felt like a dog in summer with my tongue out dragging on that last one. I had to nearly sprint for the last 100m to even break 7 minutes.

Finished off with a half recovery and skipped the mile cooldown. Total mileage: 4 miles.

I don't know how people run in the middle of the day. It was way too hot and it is only May and not even close to the humidity level of the summer here. That was a hard workout to make the times. I don't know how I am going to run 5 x 1600 @ 6:37 in 3 months. It's only around 10 seconds per mile, but the thought of 5 of them is intimidating right now.

No comments: