Friday, May 9, 2008

I must be Committed

Not like that. I mean that I must be committed to this running thing. I just passed up happy hour, but I really was in the mood for a movie marathon to escape after a busy day at work.

What I do instead? I look at my training schedule and get my workout completed. On the schedule for today was 3 easy miles.

Let me start over by logging the past 2 workouts.

On Wednesday, which is Rest or Cross Training, I hit the gym and did 15 minutes on the bike keeping my pulse at 120. Did a quick weight routine on chest, back, biceps and abs. Finished off with another 15 minutes on the bike at 120 bpm.

Thursday is speed. I was supposed to do 5 miles. It was a tempo run with 3 miles at 7:13 pace with 1 mile warmup and cooldown included in the run.

I did this on the track to help keep pace. That part was good. I did my warmup mile and then hit the first mile at 7:18 (5 seconds slow) and then 7:09 on the second (4 seconds too fast). I had some serious grumblings at this point.

I recently watched the Bucket List with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson. One of Nicholson's lines stuck with me. He gives a quip of advice, "Never trust a fart." Keeping with that idea, I decides that it was time to leave the track and find the restroom.

I dropped a deuce.

Going back to all 4 years of running in high school, whenever I ran into this same problem, I never had a good session afterwards. Same case can be said for yesterday's workout.

I ran back to the track and tried to get back to the same pace. I did get my pace, but just gave up after one lap.

All said, I ran 3.5 miles (including running to the restroom).

Today's run was easy. 3 miles plus .5 warmup and .5 cooldown. 4 miles total.

Hopefully, I can still get home, eat dinner, and make a movie anyway. Perseverence persevered!!??

No comments: