Saturday, March 22, 2008

Just Treading

I feel like I'm about to go backwards. I hate losing momentum and it always seems when I start to make progress that I expect results at a certain pace. Diminished returns is what I get. Sometimes, I just have to slow down and stay focused on the long term goal.

Thursday - The Treadmill

I started off very slow for a half mile. I then set the machine for 30 minutes and a speed of 7:30 minute miles (8 mph). Seemed feasible, but I managed to get 3.35 miles complete before I just didn't feel like fighting anymore. I had 5 minutes to go. Just 2 a half laps and I pulled a Titanic.

I gave up. Slowly falling into the abyss of failure. Since I was at the gym, I retreated to the weights. Wasting no time, I went through bench press, lat pulls, leg curls, quad extensions, calf lifts, tricep extensions, bicep curls, and situps in about 15-20 minutes. Not much weight on each exercise. 3 sets of 10 reps each. Great workout.

Oddly enough, that got my energy up and my confidence back. I've got more in the tank. I am more. I'm gonna do more.

So I headed off to the empty aerobics workout room and did 3 sets of 30 second high knees. Holding my forearms at 90 degrees, I kicked my arms with my thigh/knees. This is the hardest form of running in place. It's good for speed and form. 20 seconds into each set was OK, but the last 10 seconds really hurt. I was bent over trying to catch my breath after each one.

No comments: